People often ask us where they should eat and / or sleep in Rome. Here are a few of our favorites.
Places We Go to Eat
- Taverna Dei Fori Imperiali (near the Forum) — Good food, great location, the staff is friendly and speak English. Very busy so reservations are needed (often can make them the same day if you’re willing to eat a little early or late).
Address: via Madonna dei Monti, 9
Phone: +39 06 6798643
- Trattoria Monti (near Santa Maria Maggiore) — Mama runs the kitchen, and the sons handle the front of this small restaurant. They specialize in food from Le Marche (our area) and everything is great. Very popular, and small so be sure to make reservations.
Address: Via di San Vito, 13/a
Phone: +39 06 446 6573
- La Scaletta Degli Artisti (near Piazza Navona) — We like this place quite a bit especially for lunch. Frankie is the cook, looks like Bill Murray’s brother, and loves all things American. I had a great caccio e pepe pasta the last time we were there for lunch. Note: Recent reviews on TripAdvisor have been disappointing; if you do go let us know how it was for you.
Address: Via di Santa Maria dell’Anima, 56
Phone: +39 06 6880 1872
- Forno Campo de’ Fiori (corner of CdF) — We *always* snag a panini here, and given the location you guys should definitely give it a whirl.
Address: Campo de’ Fiori, 22
Phone: +39 06 6880 6662
Restaurant Recommendations Made to Us By Reliable Friends (each of these has at least 4 of 5 stars on TripAdvisor)
- Ditirambo (near Piazza Navona)
- Meridionale (in Trastevere)
- SeaSide (near Piazza Navona)
- Il Margutta RistorArte (near the Spanish Steps) – vegetarian / vegan
- Danel Tavernae (two blocks west of Campo de’ Fiori) – Mediterranean with lots of vegetarian options
Address: Via Del Monte Della Farina, 53
Phone: +39 06 686 9473
Hotels – Both of these hotels are near each other, on via Nazionale. Good, central location.
- Artimede Hotel – Super friendly and knowledgeable staff. Very nice rooms and common areas. Note that many of the bathrooms have enclosed tubs rather than walk-in showers.
- Opera Hotel – Good, solid hotel. Very nice rooftop bar and lounge. We wound up with a walk-in shower when we stayed there; check ahead if this is important to you. (NOTE: The Opera Hotel is on Via Nazionale, and is completely different!)